An interview podcast where I, Daniel Filan, interview guests about topics I'm interested in, with the aim of clarifying how the guest understands that topic.
15 January 2023
Episode 5 - Divia Eden on operant conditioning
In this episode, I speak with Divia Eden about operant conditioning, and how relevant it is to human and non-human animal behaviour. Topics we cover include:
- How close are we to teaching grammar to dogs?
- What are the important differences between human and dog cognition?
- How important are unmodelled “trainer effects” in dog training?
- Why do people underrate positive reinforcement?
- How does operant conditioning relate to attachment theory?
- How much does successful dog training rely on the trainer being reinforced by the dog?
- Why is game theory so fake?
- Is everything really just about calmness?
YouTube link (download raw mp3)
Divia’s twitter account
The irregularly-updated blog she writes with her husband
Don’t Shoot the Dog
Ken Ramirez Training
Love Is All You Need